Train Your Brain | Quotes to Inspire You | Success Quotes | Quotes with Attitude
Train Your Brain
Tips to get your mind in sync with your feet:
• Write a Desire Statement. On an index card, write your personal mission statement. Begin with I run because... and list the reasons you run and the benefits you expect.
• Reward Yourself. End your statement by promising yourself a specific reward after you run regularly for, say, six weeks.
• Read Your Desire Statement Every Morning. Tape a copy to your refrigerator, the dashboard of your car, your computer - anywhere you can see it and contemplate it throughout the day.
• Create a Running Mantra. Imagine how you'll feel after you achieve the running goals you listed in your desire statement. Then, choose up to three words that capture that feeling, such as I did it or Beautiful or Sexy.
• Recite Your Running Mantra. Repeat it over and over whenever you're trying to convince yourself to run. Your Running Mantra connects you to all the positive feelings in your desire statement.
• Visualize a Successful Run. When you're wavering on whether or not to hit the road, sit down and picture yourself running. See yourself running with a smile on your face, running your way to better health or a new PR. That's very motivating to a lot of people.
[Revised from The Mental Edge: Maximize Your Sports Potential With the Mind/Body Connection by Kenneth Baum]
Quotes to Inspire You
The philosophy of running is the philosophy of holism...to function as you are supposed to function, to achieve your personal best. -George Sheehan, M.D.
There are as many reasons for running as there are days in a year, years in a life. But I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be. -George Sheehan, M.D.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Steve Prefontaine
Life is the great experiment. Each of us is an experiment of one - observer and subject - making choices, living with them, recording the effects. -George Sheehan, M.D.
The more I run, the more I want to run, and the more I live a life conditioned and influenced and fashioned by my running. And the more I run, the more certain I am that I am heading for my real goal: to become the person I am. -George Sheehan, M.D.
There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change, until there is more time, until we are less tired, until we get a promotion, until we settle down – until, until, until. It always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living. Live Now! -George Sheehan, M.D.
to self awareness
and self reliance.
You can push yourself to extremes
and learn the harsh reality of
your physical and mental
coast quietly down
a solitary path
watching the Earth
spin at your feet.
But, when you are through,
exhilarated and exhausted,
at least for the moment
everything seems right
in the world.
Don't Cheat Yourself: Ever cut that long run short when the coach wasn't looking? The truth is, the coach won't care; you are only cheating yourself. The real person you are is revealed in the moments when you're certain no other person is watching. When you are alone, you are driven by what you expect of yourself. When no one else is watching, you're not attempting to impress anyone and you're not putting on a show, you're expressing your true nature. The foundation of success is built in these moments. If your efforts are only made for appearance, they will fall short. When you make the effort even though no one else is keeping track, that's a sure path to achievement. Success is built in the moments when you're truly free to be you. Make those moments count. Being a real winner is much better than just trying to look like one. Make every mile count!
Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
The will to win comes from within. -Chariots of Fire
Just Do It. -Nike
Run Happy! -Brooks
Quotes with Attitude
Great for team T-shirts, personal inspiration, or fueling that competitive fire!
I Know I Run Like a Girl TRY TO KEEP UP! -The RunnerGirl
Run like you stole something.
Shut up and run.
We run faster than your mascara.
Run hard or go home.
You either ran today or you didn't.
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
The truth is you can always run faster...sometimes the truth hurts.
If you want to win a race you have to go a little berserk. -Bill Rodgers
Quotes to Inspire You | Success Quotes | Fun Quotes - Quotes with Attitude